Sunday, January 31, 2010

Love Is...

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
1 Corinthians 13:4-7

Today's world is filled with many different definitions for the word love. We love pizza, we love our cars, we love our parents and we love God. But we don't or shouldn't love all these things on the same level. I love my parents more then I love pizza, and i love God more then... well I should love God more then anything else. Why is it that we use the word "love" so loosely? Maybe it's because we don't understand the real meaning of love and all that it encompasses. There are many different elements in these verses in 1 Corinthians 13. Throughout the next couple week, we will be looking at all the different components in these verses one by one.

1 comment:

  1. Ben, this will be an interesting study. The English language is so lacking when it comes to describing love. You're right, I can say "I love steamed shrimp . . . I love my wife." Really? Do I love them the same. Obviously not. "Love" is used so casually.

    ReplyDelete